In this recipe Chhappan Kaddu is stuffed with potato filling but it can be anything like Paneer (cottage cheese), Keema (minced meat) etc.
Make it as a main dish and enjoy with hot Paratha or Poori.
- 8-10 Chhappan Kaddu (Summer Squash)
- Finely chopped cilantro leaves to garnish
- 1 cup boiled mashed potato
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 Onion finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 green chili chopped finely
- 1 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp chopped green cilantro leaves
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp amchoor powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp garam masala to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 3 tbsp cooking oil
Preparing Summer Squash for stuffing:
- Wash and slightly peel or scrub the Summer Squash from outside.
- Cut the top of the squash like a cap and keep it aside for later use.
- Gently scoop out the central part i.e. seeds and other tender parts. Chop the central part and keep aside to be used later for gravy.
Preparing stuffing for Summer Squash:
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a pan and fry onion, green chili and ginger until golden brown. Add green peas and cook for 2-3 minutes. Now add potato and all other ingredients; mix and fry for few minutes till all become soft and cooked. Remove from fire and add chopped cilantro. The stuffing is ready.
- Heat 3 tbsp oil in a wide pan over medium flame. Add onion and fry until golden brown. Add chopped central parts of chhappan kaddu, and all other ingredients for gravy.
- Fry, stirring constantly, for about 10-12 minutes, or until paste (masala) turns dark and the oil begins to separate from the masala.
- Now add ½ cup of the water and bring to a boil.
- Slowly add stuffed summer squash. Cover the pan, lower heat, and simmer gently for 5-6 minutes or until chhappan kaddu are just tender. Do not overcook.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro.
- Serve with hot paratha.
Do You Know?
Slow cooking is the method of cooking food slowly at low temperature. Food will be more moist and flavorful because the slow cooking process allows the moisture to be locked in so it does not evaporate. It simply collects inside the compartment where it is absorbed by the food being cooked. The meats will be more juicy and tender cooked by this method.