Snake gourd/Potlakaya/Chichinda is another Indian gourd variety with which you can make many dishes. First time I ate snake gourd when I went to Hyderabad to stay. In this recipe I have added roasted besan to stir fried sliced snake gourd. It goes well as a side dish with Daal and Roti.
- 2 medium Snake gourds /Potlakaya / Chichinda
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Chana Dal
- 2 – 3 whole dry Red Chilies broken in pieces
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp amchoor powder
- 1 medium Onion chopped
- 3-4 Curry leaves
- 3 tbsp Cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- 4 tbsp Gram Flour (besan)
- In a small kadhai or pan roast the besan (without adding oil) until light brown. Keep aside for later use.
- Wash snake gourd and scrape the outer skin with a knife. Cut lengthwise into half and scoop out seeds and white pith. Chop it into small pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan and put mustard seeds. After they crackle, add chana dal, curry leaves, red chilies, onion in the same order and sauté till it turns light golden brown in color.
- Add sliced gourd pieces, salt, red chili powder, turmeric powder; stir to mix well. Cook covered on low medium heat until tender. Do not add water because on low-medium heat gourd is cooked in its own juice.
- Add the roasted besan and amchoor powder; stir-fry for 2-3 minutes till all are blended.
- Serve with Daal and Roti.
Do You Know?
Snake gourd is the best household remedy for heart problems. The juice of the fresh leaves is useful in heart disorders like palpitation and pain in the heart on physical exertion.